Day and Time
Day and Time
As the Holidays close in and we move towards the end of the year, we look back with a sense of fulfillment and remember all the moments of pure joy and happiness we experienced this year, thanks to our blessed association with music. As students, as listeners, as sadhakas devoted to making music a part of our lives and making it a path to attain a state of excellence, we are all trying our best with utmost sincerity and a sense of surrender towards music.
As a guru, performer and sadhaka myself, it has given me immense pleasure to share this experience of music with you, either through weekly lessons, through performances or even through my CDs, recordings, my book, radio broadcasts / podcasts and other indirect sources. I consider my own sadhana and musical journey more meaningful because of the fact that I am able to share it, and spread/teach it to people and thereby let you in on the many splendors and hidden joys of this great art form that I experience.
As we approach the year-end, I plan to conduct an intensive retreat / workshop. I would like to call it a “Sadhana Shibir” (Sadhana = Dedicated and disciplined practice; Shibir = Camp).
Here are some details:
This Shibir would include the following:
1. Learning swar sadhana practice - How to do Swar sadhana to improve voice quality and tunefulness
2. Learning technique practice - Understanding what it takes to improve and master techniques, What it takes to get a taan, gamak, and complex paltas right
3. Intensive study of laya and tala through rigorous rhythm exercises - This will be a very big section, since laya-tala study gets ignored very often in the normal course of learning
4. Guided listening sessions - Understanding underlying principles of Indian classical music, what to appreciate while listening. How to discern what is good and how to develop the right attitudes towards listening
5. An overview and analyses of different gharanas of vocal music, fundamentals of instrumental music, and other conceptual elements
6. Open interactions and Q&As to address any questions/confusions/clarifications that may have about music
7. A concert on Saturday evening - Dec 3, 6-7:30 PM, which will also be open to public. You get to witness it up-close and it will be open to analysis in following sessions of the workshop. (Details of this concert will follow in a separate email)
Who can attend:
Students of music of any level, and advanced listeners of music, who have not trained in music but want to experience elements of sadhana and benefit from the “sanskaar” sessions, which include guided listening, analyses and discussions are welcome to attend. Some sections of the workshops will include all participants, while some other sessions will require the participants to be broken up into different groups depending on level of previous training, male-female pitch, etc.
Shanti Mandir, 51 Muktananda Marg, Walden, NY 12586
December 3 2016, 6 AM - December 4 2016, 6 PM
The nature of this retreat requires that we stay at the venue and immerse ourselves in music and sadhana for the entire duration. So we will arrive at the venue on Friday night (Dec 2).
Given the intense nature of this shibir, the number of registrations is highly restricted. Registrations will be closed by December 1, 2016. So please register asap.
Registrations will be accepted by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or by the RSVP option at https://samarthnagarkar.viewcy.com .
Sliding scale of $250-$300. That means, depending on your ability to pay, you may choose to pay $250 or $300 or anything in between. This fee includes, at least 5 sadhana shibir sessions, a concert on Saturday, all meals and accommodation during the Shibir. Last day to pay fees is December 1, 2016.
The following options are available for fee payment:
1. Check addressed to Samarth Nagarkar mailed to 22 Wyndmoor Drive, Morristown NJ 07960
2. Online bank Transfer option available. Details will be given upon request
3. Check or Cash may be handed over in person at Chhandayan, 4 West 43rd Street, Suite 616, New York NY only on November 21, 28 and 30 between 3 PM and 9 PM.
Look forward to your participation